Saturday, January 8, 2011

Vacation Tourism Directory

Because I follow @woofahs on twitter I happen to know that he actually spends time putting together great links in his categories, and writes or otherwise adds worthwhile articles to his directories. This is not somebody sitting back and waiting for links to come to him. He is working on his sites and it shows.

The Vacation Travel Directory is an example of one of his sites, and if you look through it you will quickly find some interesting links and articles. For example, I had never heard of the Maori culture in New Zealand until I happened upon it in this directory.

The layout is nice and easy to follow. Maybe in time you could work with the fonts to bring out the text even more, but I think it is more small stuff that in some cases is open to opinions. For example, if you moved the login and register buttons over to the side bar, it would allow a more of the good content to be seen (believe there is a widget for that). And is the dark background too powerful for the logo? Something you can consider if you like.

On the submit page I would get rid of the free with reciprocal option as it can attract some spammy links. At least keep an eye on what you are getting. Also, I think the Meta Keywords and Description fields are not needed when submitting a link, especially Meta Keywords. Matt Cutts from Google has actually said point blank that google does not even look at that tag.

I think you on the right track, and I wouldn't want to discourage you one bit. In some ways these sites are a diamond in the rough, and it will be nice as people start to discover them. As they do, I hope you will add some interactivity (Disqus?) and start building a following.

Good luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the positioning could be a terribly extensible and highly configurable multi-directory part. this is often an wonderful directory from where you'll be able to get all the links no matter you want.
Excellent Directory