Thursday, January 6, 2011

Directory Cave

Directory Cave was created as a domain on April 13, 2009 and seems to be active in adding links as of January 6, 2011. I looked at the latest links page in the google cache from December 9, 2011 and clearly more links have been added since then. That is a bit of an old cache date, so hopefully google will be back soon to spider. :)

I like the underwater image of the cave at the top. I've always thought underwater caving would be the ultimate adventure. The image seems a little large, but it works well spatially with the Google Adsense next to it, and likely this directory is getting some regular income from the Adsense.

I see they offer Free Links, as well as Free with Reciprocal. I would recommend they turned off Free with Reciprocal as sometimes what happens is you get links from a bunch of low quality sites as a result. I had a directory setup like this a while ago and I felt this might have hurt my rankings. I was never sure, but it is possible this could be a negative factor on rankings if you get too many.

They also offer featured links for $14.95 which includes a thumbnail pic, extra categories and deep links. It's nice to see them offering extra value with the new 4.1 features.

Looking at the footer and sidebar, it appears there are more directories owned by this user (Macon), and surely he has built some steady income by working with multiple directories. For example, I would bet if he sells a link on one directory, he is sure to write the buyer and let them know about the others.

If I were to give advice, probably I would say that it would be nice to have something on the homepage or sidebar that might appeal to an average surfer such as an interesting story, a featured link or similar. This might decrease the bounce rate, and also would be the start of getting some followers of the site (not just submitters).

Good luck with Directory Cave!

No comments: