Saturday, January 8, 2011

Direct My Link

The first thing I saw as I loaded the homepage of Direct My Link was "Booyah". It was a banner on the top right for Groupon. With subdued colors for the directory, the banner really stands out, and I assume is getting clicks.

Knowing what I know about directories, I can see this is clearly a "general" directory. I like the way the left side bar is positioned, as the items in the sidebar are likely to be reviewed. The number of active links is impressive. What I don't find is anything in the left sidebar that stands out that I want to click on next. If you could add a graphic and a link that leads the user deeper in the site, I think that could serve you well. It doesn't have to be about submitting. It could just be an article or something interesting.

I see you are involved with Directory Rank and Vilesilencer and are surely getting lots of submissions from them. I would hope that relationship also brings about some purchased links (don't know, would love to hear your experience).

Glad to see you are using the Facebook Like Button throughout the site. You could probably enhance the look of it, and make that a feature your submitters use more often.

The link detail pages seem a little plain. You could probably make the text a little bigger and more highlight the description, but choose not to show some of the other fields. For example, why do we need to show Link ID? (probably a default phpLD setting that should change too). If nobody is rating the links, maybe try bringing in Disqus, and that way you have Facebook at the top and Disqus at the bottom. That might bring some balance and interactivity.

I think my favorite part is the layout. I can see you are making some money on this one, and if anything I would just look for some ways to add "interestingness" to the site.

Good luck!

No comments: